How to prepare for Brazilian Laser Hair Removal
It is essential that you know how to prepare for laser hair removal on the Brazilian area. For treatment to be effective and safe all hair must be removed before your treatment.
To help make treatment more comfortable
- Avoid caffeine before your treatment
- You may take a mild pain reliever (only if completely necessary, most women don’t)
- Shaving for Brazilian laser is essential to ensure a safe, comfortable and effective result from your laser treatments. Shaving is the only method of hair removal recommended while having laser treatment.
- Do not shave on the day of your session.
Follow these steps to achieve the perfect result from each one of your treatments.
- Ensure you have approx. 4-6 weeks full growth before you start your very first session.
- Lightly exfoliate 3-4 days before your session
- Shave the day/night before your treatment, do NOT shave on the day of your treatment
- Do not wax, epilate or pluck hairs in this area.
Products and tools needed to prepare Brazilian for laser hair removal
- Choose non-perfumed shaving/cleansing product
- Choose a shaving product that is clear in colour like a shaving oil as this will allow you to see exactly where you are shaving
- Use a pH-balanced feminine foaming wash afterwards to ensure all residue of the shaving oil has been removed
- Ensure you have a clean, sharp razor each time you shave
Top tips for shaving
- Allocate some time to do this properly, take your time, do not rush
- Start in sections, do the top section first. Then do the sides and then the labia and bum
- If your hair is long, trim with scissors before using a razor
- Do not dry shave this area
- Use light pressure when passing the razor over the skin
- Do not over shave this area by passing the razor multiple times over the same section of skin
- Store a tube of Aloe Vera in the fridge for added cooling after shaving
It is very difficult to do this properly in a shower with running water. Because of this, we would recommend you kneel in the bathtub ½ full with water (so that your bikini area is not immersed ) or stand in front of your sink in the bathroom. Alternatively, if you have a mirror in your bedroom, use 2 basins of water. One basin to rinse your blade and one to store a clean lukewarm flannel. It is important for you to know how to prepare for Brazilian laser hair removal properly. Firstly to avoid nicking the skin and causing a cut. And secondly, to get your Brazilian shape correct.
Step-by-step guide – How to prepare your Brazilian for laser hair removal
Marking your Brazilian shape
Stand facing a mirror, ensure you have a full view of your bikini area. If you are shaving in the bath do this before you get in. Trim hairs on top with scissors. Using a white eye (Kohl) pencil on dry skin draw lines to form the shape of the piece of hair you want to leave for your Brazilian. Don’t worry if you make a mistake, this can be removed as many times as it takes to get the perfect shape. Make sure you draw a defined line and go over the line a few times with the pencil to ensure it stays put.
Prepare the area
Dampen the skin on top of your bikini area with water and apply a small amount of shaving oil. Avoid the areas where your white pencil marks are. If you are using a white shaving foam it’s a little difficult to see the white lines of your pencil so a product that is clear in colour is better. If you apply too much of this it will remove your pencil marks so don’t rush.
Shaving the area
Take your time when doing this to make sure you achieve a defined line that you are happy with. Make sure you can see the full area in the mirror to ensure that the lines are straight.
Do the top section first. Working from the outside in (towards the lines you have drawn), shave lightly and rinse your blade often. Make sure to go slow enough to ensure you are removing hairs with one pass of your razor. This avoids the need to over shave the area.
When you are finished and are happy with your shape, remove the shaving oil and white pencil lines from this area with a clean lukewarm flannel.
Apply shaving oil to the outer side sections (thigh area) of your bikini. Do one side first and shave all the way up to your labia. Repeat on the other side and remove the excess shaving oil with a clean lukewarm flannel.
Apply shaving oil to the labia area and elevate your foot on the side of a bath/bed etc. Working from the outer section of the outer labia lightly pass the razor over your skin. Stretch the skin as much as possible to expose as much of this labia area as you can. Then with light pressure begin to shave this area. When all hair has been removed stretch the outer labia out to expose the inner labia. Make sure you have enough product on the skin. Again lightly pass the razor over the skin to gently remove the hair in this area. Work from the outer labia into the inner labia and take your time making sure to stretch the skin as much as possible. Remove all excess shaving oil from this area with a clean lukewarm flannel.
How to shave your bum
Follow these steps to safely shave hair from your bum.
- Always shave your bum AFTER you have shaved your bikini and labia sections
- Apply shaving oil to the area, the best way to remove hair here is to do a squat
- Place a small mirror on the floor so that you can see what you are doing
- Working from the outside in pass the razor lightly over the skin rinsing your razor regularly to remove excess hairs
- Use light pressure especially around the perianal area
- When you have finished remove all excess shaving oil with a clean lukewarm flannel.
When you have fully shaved the area step into the shower or dip into the bath. Use a special formulated pH balanced feminine foaming wash on your whole bikini area. Use lukewarm water as your skin may be slightly sensitive after your shave. When you have finished apply a splash of cold water on this area to tighten your pores. If the skin is a little irritated after your shave apply 100% Aloe Vera gel to the area. Do not use any moisturisers, lotions, creams or oils on your skin before your laser treatment. It’s so important you know how to prepare for your Brazilian laser hair removal appointment. If you don’t prepare properly areas may have to be avoided during treatment. This may, in turn, affect your results. This can be a difficult area to shave so if there are missed hairs we will help you with them.
As you are using a blade around the perianal area, we would recommend you clean your razor properly. Do not use the same razor on any other body part after you have shaved this area with it. Sanitise your blade with surgical spirits to ensure it is clean.
What to do if you happen to nick your skin during shaving
If you nick your skin with the razor don’t panic. Remove all of the shaving product and place a small piece of tissue over the area until it has stopped bleeding. Ensure the area is kept clean and if necessary apply a very small amount of a natural antiseptic like Tea Tree oil on a cotton bud. Please be careful to use this just on the area and do not apply this all over this very sensitive part of your body. If you take your time and stretch the skin when shaving this should not happen.
The most important thing to remember is to take your time.
If you rush you will inevitably nick your skin with the razor blade. If you attend your laser session with nicks and cuts on your Brazilian area your therapist will have to avoid these areas with the laser. Learning how to prepare for Brazilian laser hair removal treatment properly will mean you will get the most out of each session. You will also avoid any issues such as irritation after your treatment.
If you would like some more information about laser hair removal for the Brazilian area please click here. You will need a consultation and patch test before you start with us. Contact us today to arrange a FREE 30-minute consultation with one of our laser hair removal specialists.