Tweezing Facial Hair
Tweezing facial hair is a good way to remove it, although can be time consuming depending on the amount of hairs you need to remove.
Some of the benefits of tweezing facial hair include:
- Treatments can be done at home
- Provides a reduction in facial hair growth for 2-3 weeks
- Very cost effective
- Removes all types of hairs on the face
- You can see Immediate results
- Easy and safe
- Hair growth may weaken over time
Tweezing facial hair works by using a steel tweezers to pluck hairs out of hair follicle removing the root and the hair shaft. The hair is clasped with the tweezers and is pulled in the direction of the hair growth in order to remove the hair. It is important to stretch the skin first and pull gently so that whole hair is removed and not just the tip. This process is repeated over an entire area until all excess hairs are removed, although time consuming it is a very effective method and because the hairs have been removed by the root this method will provide longer hair free periods.
Although a little painful, tweezing is a safe and time honoured way of removing facial hair. Here’s some top tips from our experts.
- Hairs in this area are quite fine so using a magnified mirror and having good lighting is essential while tweezing.
- It is important to invest in a good tweezers, sharp, slanted tweezers are best and it is essential that you look after your tweezers so that they stay sharp and clasp hairs properly while in use.
- Before and after each use wipe the ends of the tweezers with cotton pads containing disinfectant fluid. Always replace the rubber safety cap to prevent the tweezers becoming blunt.
- Cleanse the skin before tweezing. After tweezing hair follicles will remain open and will be susceptible to infection so ensure skin is free of make up.
- Take your time. Tips of tweezers are very sharp so avoid plucking too fast, stretch the skin so that the tweezers clasp hairs instead of skin.
- Get a good grip of the hairs and pull briskly but gently this will ensure the whole hair is removed including the root. This is essential to minimise the risk of ingrown hairs.
- After your shower or bath is the perfect time to tweeze, pores have become relaxed due to heat and hairs will be much easier to remove.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel after tweezing the face to help calm skin. Keep this is the fridge and apply gel cold to the skin for added cooling and soothing benefits. Avoid applying facial creams or make up after tweezing as this may lead to breakouts on your skin.
Results from tweezing facial hair may last anywhere from 2-6 weeks depending on your rate of hair growth. Because hairs have been removed from the root this does mean it will take your hairs longer to grow back. Over time persistent plucking may reduce the amount of hairs growing especially on the brow area. Be sure not to over tweeze the brow area as this may lead to an uneven growth in this area and may make it difficult to achieve a good shape.
Prolonged incorrect use of tweezers can cause problems, ingrown hairs or skin irritation. Unnecessary tugging and pulling on the fragile skin on your face may have an impact over time. To minimise all of these effects laser maybe a better solution for you.
If you have any questions regarding laser hair removal, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our dedicated team of hair removal specialists are on hand to answer any of your questions.