Tweezing Facial Hair
Tweezing facial hair is a good way to remove it, although can be time consuming depending on the amount of hairs you need to remove.
Some of the benefits of tweezing facial hair include
- Treatments can be done at home
- Provides a reduction in facial hair growth for 2-3 weeks
- Very cost effective
- Removes all types of hairs on the face
- You can see immediate results
- Easy and safe
- Hair growth may weaken over time
Tweezing facial hair works by using a tweezers to pluck hairs out of a hair follicle. This removes the hair including the root. The hair is clasped with the tweezers and is pulled in the direction of the hair growth in order to remove it. It is important to stretch the skin first and pull gently so that whole hair is removed and not just the tip. This process is repeated over an entire area until all excess hairs are removed. Although time-consuming it is a very effective method. Because the hairs have been removed by the root this method will provide longer hair free periods.
Although a little painful, tweezing is a safe and time-honoured way of removing facial hair.
Here are some top tips for tweezing facial hair
- Hairs in this area are quite fine so using a magnified mirror.
- Good lighting is essential while tweezing.
- It is important to invest in a good tweezer, sharp, slanted tweezers are best.
- Store tweezers carefully so that they stay sharp and clasp hairs properly while in use.
- Before and after each use wipe the ends of the tweezers with cotton pads containing disinfectant.
- Always replace the rubber safety cap to prevent the tweezers from becoming dirty.
- Cleanse the skin before tweezing. After tweezing hair follicles will remain open and will be susceptible to infection so ensure skin is free of makeup.
- Take your time. Tips of tweezers are very sharp so avoid plucking too fast. Stretch the skin so that the tweezers clasp hairs instead of skin.
- Get a good grip of the hairs and pull briskly but gently. This will ensure the whole hair is removed including the root. This is essential to minimise the risk of ingrown hairs.
- After your shower or bath is the perfect time to tweeze, pores have become relaxed due to heat and hairs will be much easier to remove.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel after tweezing the face to help calm skin. Keep this in the fridge and apply to the skin for added cooling and soothing benefits.
- Avoid applying facial creams or makeup after tweezing as this may lead to breakouts on your skin.
Be cautious when tweezing
Results from tweezing facial hair may last anywhere from 2-6 weeks depending on your rate of hair growth. Because hairs have been removed from the root this means it will take your hairs longer to grow back. Over time persistent plucking may reduce the number of hairs growing especially on the brow area. Be sure not to over tweeze the brow area as this may lead to uneven growth. This may make it difficult to achieve a defined brow shape.
Prolonged incorrect use of tweezers can cause problems, ingrown hairs or skin irritation. Unnecessary tugging and pulling on the fragile skin on your face may have an impact over time. To minimise all of these effects laser may be a better solution for you.
How laser hair removal can help with facial hair
Laser hair removal is clinically proven to reduce hair permanently. If you are looking for a long term solution to facial hair laser is the answer. For laser to work properly hair must be dark in colour. If you are constantly tweezing thick, dark coloured hairs on your face laser will work on these. 6-10+ sessions are needed to achieve an 80-85% reduction in hair growth. Top ups are recommended 2-3 times a year for most people. You will see a reduction in growth from your very first laser session.
If you have any questions regarding laser hair removal, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our dedicated team of hair removal specialists are on hand to answer any of your questions.