Waxing Facial Hair
Waxing is an effective way to treat facial hair for many women.
The benefits of waxing facial hair are:
- A reduction in facial hair growth for up to 3-4 weeks
- Immediate Results
- Removes all types of hairs on the face
- Treatments are extremely safe when carried out by experienced therapists
The downside of waxing are:
- You have to allow your hair to grow
- Skin may be sensitive after treatment
- Treatments are needed every 4-6 weeks on an ongoing basis
- If not done correctly bruising can occur
- Follicles can become infected after treatment
- Hairs can become ingrown
Waxing is a tried and tested method of removing facial hair, treatments are fast and very effective but your hair free period will depend on your hair growth cycle. Waxing is a very affordable way of quickly removing facial hair but results are very short term and sometimes can lead to skin issues such as breakouts, ingrown hairs or skin irritation. If you are experiencing these issues from waxing their is an alternative, laser hair removal can help improve the appearance of your skin over time. It quickly reduces hair density over just a few sessions and as you do not need to allow your hair to grow before treatment you can remain hair free for the duration of your treatment course. For laser hair removal to work hairs in the area have to be mid brown to black in colour. White, blond or grey hairs will not respond to laser.
How does waxing work?
There are two types of wax that can be used for facial hair removal strip wax and hot wax. We would strongly advise against using strip wax on the facial area and would only recommend using hot wax on this sensitive area.
Strip waxing is suitable for large body areas such as legs or a man’s back, warm wax is applied to the skin and removed quickly with a cloth strip.
Hot wax is used on the more sensitive parts of the body ie the face and bikini, a protective layer of oil is used on the skin before the wax is applied this creates a barrier preventing the wax sticking to the skin. As the wax cools it shrink wraps around the hairs and it is then removed quickly removed. The heat from the wax relaxes the small opening of the hair follicle on the face and this allows a more comfortable wax and causes less skin irritation.
Is waxing safe?
Yes, waxing is a very safe procedure if carried by a trained waxing specialist.
Some things to look out for are as follows:
- No double dipping policy – this means that the therapist dips the waxing spatula into the wax once applies the wax to you skin and repeats this using a brand new spatula. This prevents any cross contamination of any kind and ensures a safe and hygienic wax.
- Quality of wax used – Hot wax is the best option for all facial waxing treatments, pre wax oil creates a barrier between you wax and skin preventing wax sticking to your skin. Although you may experience some redness on the skin after facial waxing this normally subsides within a few hours.
- Aftercare – It is important to follow aftercare instructions given to you by your waxing specialist in order to minimise the potential risk of breakouts or prolonged skin irritation from waxing.
How often will I need to wax my face?
You will need to wax your face approximately every 4-6 weeks depending on the rate in which your hair grows. Each body area has a different growth cycle rate, facial hair has the fastest growth and this is why this areas will need to be maintained more frequently. You will need to have waxing done every month for the rest of your life as results from this treatment are very short term.
If you are looking for a treatment that will give longer lasting results laser hair removal will offer you longer hair free periods. Thick, coarse, heavy hairs will reduce quickly and you will notice that over time hairs will be finer and lighter in texture so you will not feel rough stubble after a few sessions. Most women would need a full course of treatments on their facial area and may need top ups 2-3 a year on this area after this (this can vary if you have an underlying medical issue which causes your hair to growth i.e PCOS)
Laser hair removal can offer life changing results, if you are having to shave daily and are having issues with your skin because of this their is a solution. Our therapists only perform laser treatments, they treat 100’s of women who are experiencing the same issue as you so please don’t be embarrassed to come and have a chat to us. They are caring and passionate about what they do and will work along side you to get the best possible result so you can regain your confidence. We will offer you honest advise in relation to your treatments and be upfront about what results you can expect. Contact us today to book your free consultation.