Can I exercise after laser hair removal?
In short, no. For best results and optimum comfort, exercise is not recommended after laser hair removal.
During treatment, heat is applied to the skin which results in redness (erythema) and swelling of the follicles (follicular oedema). These are just temporary side effects lasting12-24hrs and during this time it is important to keep your skin cool. Your hair follicles will be extremely sensitive so it is important to avoid any activity that could cause you to sweat or heat up your skin. Sweat contains bacteria which will aggravate sensitive hair follicles resulting in a rash or worse, a skin infection.
What types of of exercise should I avoid after laser hair removal?
Avoid any exercise that could induce a sweat. Running, swimming, dancing, cycling, spin classes, hot yoga, weight training, aerobics classes, Cross fit, TRX, Zumba are all forms of exercise that you must stay away from for 24-48hrs. A gentle walk is fine but any sweat inducing activities must be avoided during this time frame.
What should I do directly after my laser hair removal session?
- Wear loose cotton clothing to allow skin to cool down. Avoid wearing skinny jeans or tights if you are having laser treatment on your legs or bikini line.
- Apply 100% Aloe Vera only to the area. Do not apply any creams, moisturisers, oils or perfumed products directly after treatment.
- Do not touch, pick or scratch the skin on your treatment area.
- Avoid showering until the morning after your treatment and use luke warm water in the shower.
- Relax for the evening, take the night off and give your skin the time it needs.
By taking care and following these simple guides, you will avoid any adverse skin irritations or reactions from laser treatment.
If you have any further questions regarding laser hair removal and exercise, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our dedicated team of hair removal specialists are on hand to answer any of your questions.